First Consult includes trusted, evidence-based medical information for quick answers at the point-of-care.
Learn more about how First Consult provides trusted, quick, and on-demand answers.
At Elsevier’s point-of-care content, First Consult leverages evidence-based medical information to deliver answers that are trusted, quick, and accessible anytime, anywhere.
Quality you can trust
- Content is subject to rigorous oversight by expert peer reviewers, a renowned editorial board, physician editors, and the Editor-in-Chief, David Goldmann, MD, FACP.
- The collaborative editorial process results in each topic reviewed by a minimum of four physicians before publication.
- Continual updates, including reviews by practicing physicians who are specialists in their respective fields, ensure that the content is current and relevant to your practice.
Quick answers at the point-of-care
- Evidence-based medical information is distilled through the collaborative editorial process
- Workflow-friendly format characterized by succinct, bulleted answers presented within two clicks.
Integrated access where you need it
- Remote and off-site access delivers content to your practice when you are not at your institution – whether that is your clinic, office or home.
- Integration with MD Consult provides seamless access to an in-depth compendium of medical content.
- One-click access to First Consult answers directly from your EMR empowers clinical decisions without having to access multiple tools.
- First Consult iPhone App enables access from anywhere you have your device – no data connection required.
Follow along as a group of physicians explains how First Consult, coupled with MD Consult, provides quick, trusted answers.
Access First Consult’s answers anytime, anywhere. Click for more info and download.
Access anytime, anywhere
- Access from anywhere you have your device—no data connection required
- Quick, easy access to regular content updates
- Works on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
Easy to get
- Free download from App Store
- Access using your individual or institutional subscription—or sign up for a free trial
View a 2-minute video overview of First Consult’s features and search interface.
Meet the minds behind First Consult’s expert functionality and content.
- David Goldmann, MD, FACP, Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
- Allan Brewer, MD, Deputy Editor
- Marjorie Lazoff, MD, Medical Editor
- Margaret Hessen, MD, Medical Editor
- Gloria Klaiman, Managing Editor
- Angela Martello, Development and Production Manager
- Corina Khettry, Copy Editor
- Bhupinder S. Anand, MD, DPhil, Professor of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine
- Barbara Blok, MD, Assistant Program Director, Denver Health Residency in Emergency Medicine, Assistant Professor, Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine
- James Demetroulakos, MD, Staff Otolaryngologist, Massachusetts General Hospital North Shore, Instructor in Otology and Laryngology, Harvard Medical School
- Joseph S. Esherick, MD, FAAFP, Associate Director of Medicine, Medical ICU Director, Hospitalist and Family Practice Faculty, Attending Physician in Departments of Internal Medicine and Obstetrics/Gynecology, Associate Clinical Professor of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Russell C. Jones, MD, FAAFP, Clinical Adjunct Associate Professor of Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School
- Arthur Y. Kim, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Division of Infectious Diseases
- Sophie Lanzkron, MD, Director, Sickle Cell Center for Adults, Assistant Professor of Medicine and Oncology, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Linda A. Lee, MD, Clinical Director, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Dale Mueller, MD, HeartCare Midwest, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeon, OSF St. Francis Medical Center, Vice-Chairman Department of Cardiovascular Medicine and Surgery, Co-Medical Director Thoracic Center of Excellence, University of Illinois, Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery
- Randolph Pearson, MD, FAAFP, FACSM, Professor, Department of Family Medicine, Senior Associate Director, Sparrow/MSU Family Medicine Residency, Director, MSU Sports Medicine Fellowship, Team Physician, Michigan State University, Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
- David Rakel, MD, Director and Founder, University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Department of Family Medicine
- Joseph Scherger, MD, Vice President for Primary Care, Eisenhower Medical Center, Clinical Professor of Family Medicine, University of California, San Diego
- Anneliese Schleyer MD, MHA, Director, Hospital Medicine Service, Harborview Medical Center
- Patricio Silva, MD, Section Chief, Nephrology and Kidney Transplantation, Professor, Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology and Kidney Transplantation, Temple University School of Medicine
- Donna M. Sudak, MD, Professor of Psychiatry, Director of Psychotherapy Training, Drexel University College of Medicine
- Austin B. Thompson, III, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Michael L. Tuggy, MD, Clinical Associate Professor, University of Washington School of Medicine Director, Swedish Family Medicine-First Hill, Swedish Medical Center
- Eelco F.M. Wijdicks, MD, PhD, Professor of Neurology, Chair, Division of Critical Care Neurology, Mayo College of Medicine
- Myron Yanoff, MD, Professor and Chair, Department of Ophthalmology, Drexel University College of Medicine
- Jay Abramovitz, MBA, Product Manager
- Craig Sahrmann, MBA, Product Marketing Manager
Trust that our content comes from expert contributors and a rigorous editorial process.
- The First Consult Editorial Board is composed of internationally renowned physician editors led by the Editor-in-Chief, David Goldmann, MD, FACP.
- They participate in the development and vetting of monographs through a rigorous editing and peer-review process.
- Editorial Board members also advise the First Consult editorial staff on the development of new content and features, drawing from their extensive experience in leading healthcare organizations throughout the U.S.
- First Consult contributors are clinician specialists from leading institutions across the U.S and abroad.
- They are selected to contribute based upon their academic work, clinical activities, publications and the recommendations of other knowledgeable clinicians and colleagues.
- Contributors incorporate the most recent authoritative guidelines and best evidence from the medical literature by doing a focused review of the literature and by accessing filtered searches from McMaster University - which provides ongoing surveillance of over 130+ medical journals.
Editorial Board input, expert physician contributors, and a rigorous editorial process result in trusted answers.
- The editorial process, in which the Editorial Board members, contributors, and First Consult editors participate, includes:
- updating and authoring by physician content experts
- review by in-house physician editorial staff
- external peer review
- revision by authors
- final review by the Editor-in-Chief
- Each topic is reviewed by a minimum of four physicians before publication.
- Medical topics are updated annually, semi-annually, or quarterly, as determined by the editorial staff.
- First Consult's physician editors continually monitor new developments, such as FDA alerts, recently published clinical guidelines, bulletins from the CDC, important new studies, or significant medical news, which trigger more frequent and immediate updates.
Experience how First Consult’s clinical decision support can benefit you and your patients.
- Succinct, bulleted answers presented within two clicks
- Evidence-based information distilled into workflow-friendly format
- Answers lead to CME – earn free CME credits from Cleveland Clinic with each search conducted
- Remote and off-site access delivers content on-demand to clinic, office or home
- First Consult iPhone App provides on-demand access, even when you do not have a WiFi or cellular data connection
- Integration with MD Consult provides seamless access to in-depth compendium of medical content
- One-click access from your EMR to First Consult empowers you to make clinical decisions without having to access multiple tools
- Internationally-renowned editorial team, lead by Editor-in-Chief, David Goldmann, MD, FACP
- Continual updates, including reviews by practicing physicians who are specialists in their respective fields
- Collaborative editorial process ensures that each topic is reviewed by a minimum of four physicians before publication
- Leading level of evidence among point-of-care products*
*2009 study conducted by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health Sciences Library System determined that First Consult contains the largest proportion of publication types deemed to be higher levels of evidence to support topical monographs.View Clinical Scenario
See how the First Consult team is constantly working to improve design, content, and integration.
The succinct, evidence-based medical information of First Consult is authored by world-renowned experts, including physician specialists from Cleveland Clinic.
First Consult content experts are also assisted in the work by experts in evidence-based medicine in the Health Information Research Unit at McMasterUniversity. Experts at McMaster continuously monitor over 130 of the top journals and critically appraise students for quality and relevance to practice.
First Consult integrates with Zynx under a single evidence link that allows you to move directly from the evidence pages within Zynx Health clinical modules to the corresponding medical topic monographs in First Consult.
First Consult’s trusted answers are accessible directly from your electronic medical record. Get one-click access from your EMR to a First Consult Medical Topic.
First Consult partners with most major EMR vendors, including:
The First Consult team is constantly working to make First Consult the best quick-reference clinical decision support resource available today. We invite you to help us shape its future. When you register as a Design Partner, you agree to allow us to contact you and request your participation in our research into changes and enhancements to our content and the overall product. We conduct the following types of activities:
- Email requests to participate in an online questionnaire (most common).
- Telephone interviews or web meetings, often 1/2 hour to an hour.
- Usability tests at your location, or sometimes off-site.
- Ad hoc email conversations are used to solicit opinions.
These activities occur on an occasional basis, and you are under no obligation to accept any invitation. We understand your time is valuable, so an honorarium is often provided for the more time-consuming activities if it is not deemed to compromise the research.Sign Up Now
Case scenarios that include free access to the related medical topic in First Consult.
50 leading medical reference books online
Search the entire collection simultaneously for quick, comprehensive reference.
- Abeloff: Abeloff’s Clinical Oncology
- Adam: Grainger & Allison’s Diagnostic Radiology
- Adkinson: Middleton’s Allergy
- Auerbach: Wilderness Medicine
- Bonow: Braunwald's Heart Disease
- Bope and Kellerman: Conn’s Current Therapy
- Browner: Skeletal Trauma
- Canale & Beaty: Campbell’s Operative Orthopaedics
- Cleveland Clinic: Current Clinical Medicine
- Daroff: Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice
- DeLee: DeLee and Drez’s Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Duthie: Practice of Geriatrics
- Feldman: Sleisenger & Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease
- Ferri: Ferri’s Clinical Advisor
- Ferri: Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient
- Firestein: Kelley’s Textbook of Rheumatology
- Flint: Cummings Otolaryngology
- Frontera: Essentials of Physical Medicineand Rehabilitation
- Gabbe: Obstetrics
- Goldberger: Clinical Electrocardiography
- Goldman: Goldman's Cecil Medicine
- Green & Swiontkowski: Skeletal Trauma in Children
- Habif: Clinical Dermatology
- Hoffman: Hematology
- Jacobson: Psychiatric Secrets
- Johns Hopkins: The Harriet Lane Handbook
- Keane: Nadas’ Pediatric Cardiology
- Khatri: Operative Surgery Manual
- Kliegman: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics
- Kumar: Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
- Lentz: Comprehensive Gynecology
- Long: Principles and Practice of PediatricInfectious Diseases
- Mandell: Mandell, Douglas and Bennett’s Principles and Practice of Infectious Disease
- Marx: Rosen’s Emergency Medicine
- Mason: Murray & Nadel’s Textbook of Respiratory Medicine
- McPherson: Henry’s Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods
- Melmed: Williams Textbook of Endocrinology
- Mettler: Essentials of Radiology
- Miller: Miller’s Anesthesia
- Piccini & Nilsson: The Osler Medical Handbook
- Rakel: Integrative Medicine
- Rakel: Textbook of Family Medicine
- Roberts: Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine
- Shannon: Haddad and Winchester’s Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose
- Stern: Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry
- Taal: Brenner and Rector’s The Kidney
- Townsend: Sabiston Textbook of Surgery
- Walsh: Palliative Medicine
- Wein: Campbell-Walsh Urology
- Yanoff & Duker: Ophthalmology
More than 50,000 high-quality medical images
View photos, tables, graphs, and more. Select up to 4 at one time and compare to determine which image best fits your needs. Users may print or download images for their personal, non-commercial use provided that all copyright and other proprietary notices are kept intact. More information on the use of images from MD Consult is defined in our Terms and Conditions.
Nearly 50 of the most current journals available online
Search MEDLINE® plus other key databases simultaneously to find full-text articles. PDFs are available for many Elsevier journals, dating back to 2002. PDF articles preserve the fonts, images, graphics, and layout of the original articles.
- American Family Physician
- American Heart Journal
- The American Journal of Cardiology
- American Journal of Emergency Medicine
- American Journal of Gastroenterology
- American Journal of Kidney Diseases
- The American Journal of Medicine
- American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Journal of Ophthalmology
- American Journal of Sports Medicine
- American Journal of Surgery
- Annals of Emergency Medicine
- Annals of Family Medicine
- Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Canadian Medical Association Journal
- Clinical Cornerstone
- Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Current Problems in Pediatric and Adolescent Health Care
- Evidence-based Healthcare and Public Health
- Evidence-based Healthcare: A Scientific Approach to Health Policy
- Evidence-based Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Evidence-based Oncology
- Family Practice Management
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- General Hospital Psychiatry
- Heart, Lung and Circulation
- Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- Journal of Clinical Anesthesia
- Journal of Critical Care
- Journal of Men’s Health
- The Journal of Men’s Health & Gender
- Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
- Journal of Pediatrics
- Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Journal of the American College of Surgeons
- Journal of the American Dietetic Association
- Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
- Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography
- Journal of the American Society of Nephrology
- The Lancet Infectious Diseases
- The Lancet Neurology
- The Lancet Oncology
- Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- Obesity Research & Clinical Practice
- Operative Techniques in General Surgery
- Paediatric Respiratory Reviews
- Pediatric Neurology
- Sleep Medicine Reviews
- Wilderness & Environmental Medicine
Weekly medical news from major journals, government agencies, and medical conferences
Comprehensive, clinical reviews of timely subjects
Clinics of North America
Access the full text of articles from over 30 Clinics online, covering topics that include diagnosis and therapy, new materials, and new equipment. Search MEDLINE® plus other key databases simultaneously to find full-text articles. PDFs are available for many of The Clinics of North America, dating back to 2002. PDF articles preserve the fonts, images, graphics, and layout of the original articles.
- Adolescent Medicine Clinics
- Anesthesiology Clinics
- Cardiology Clinics
- Clinics in Chest Medicine
- Clinics in Family Practice
- Clinics in Geriatric Medicine
- Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
- Clinics in Liver Disease
- Clinics in Perinatology
- Clinics in Sports Medicine
- Critical Care Clinics
- Dermatologic Clinics
- Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America
- Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics
- Gastroenterology Clinics
- Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America
- Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America
- Infectious Disease Clinics of North America
- Medical Clinics of North America
- Neurologic Clinics
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics
- Ophthalmology Clinics of North America
- Orthopedic Clinics of North America
- Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America
- Pediatric Clinics of North America
- PET Clinics
- Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice
- Psychiatric Clinics of North America
- Radiologic Clinics of North America
- Rheumatic Diseases Clinics of North America
- Sleep Medicine Clinics
- Surgical Clinics of North America
- Ultrasound Clinics
- Urologic Clinics of North America
Free Internet Point-of-Care CME credit
MD Consult offers two easy activities to obtain CME Credit.
FREE Internet Point-of-Care CME credit
Provided by the Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education, this option focuses on structured, online learning. Physicians may earn 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™ for each search conducted through MD Consult.
Cyberounds® are interactive grand rounds moderated by distinguished academics, exclusively for physicians, medical students, and other selected health professionals.
Conferences are administrated by the Cyberounds® committee at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. New presentations are uploaded regularly. Members then have the opportunity to pose questions and comments directly to the moderators or guest authors. Previous conferences are archived and available for review. Free CME for the first 5 conferences submitted.
Over 15,000 patient education handouts
Most are written at a 6th- to 8th-grade reading level and are 1 to 2 pages in length. Spanish versions are available for approximately 75% of topics. Handouts are easily customizable, allowing physicians to provide additional instructions and contact information on each. The content comes from a variety of trusted sources: American Academy of Family Physicians, Ferri's Netter Patient Advisor, ExitCare, and Elsevier Gold Standard.
Instant access to MD Consult anytime, anywhere
Stay in the know while on the go with great features that allow you to:
- Extend the content from MD Consult to your iPhone, Blackberry, or smartphone with an interface optimized for mobile.
- Browse content through Quick Reference links to our growing list of medical topics with pre-organized resources.
- Search books, Clinics, journals, MEDLINE®, and practice guidelines.
- View the full text of book chapters, journals, and Clinics articles, plus images of all searchable content.
- Email content links to yourself for later review or to a colleague to share information.
- 4 Easy steps to get started:
Note: Users must log out of MD Consult on the workstation before logging into their phone.
For more information on how to get started, contact us at 800-401-9962 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The latest drug information, approvals and safety notices
Provided by Gold Standard, Drugs include generic and brand name drugs, investigational medications, nutraceuticals, and nutritional products. FDA Approvals and Safety Notices are added when announced by the US Food and Drug Administration or a specific drug manufacturer.
Three specialty add-ons to ensure that you get exactly the medical information you need.
Available Specialty Add-Ons:
- Infectious Disease
- Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
- Pain Medicine
- First Consult
MD Consult Standard Subscription PLUS Infectious Disease
In addition to all the content available in MD Consult Standard Subscription, by adding the Infectious Disease option you will have access to:
- Brunette: CDC Health Information for International Travel
- Cohen & Powderly: Infectious Diseases
- Keystone: Travel Medicine
- Plotkin: Vaccines
- Remington: Infectious Diseases of the Fetus and Newborn Infant
- Strickland: Hunter’s Tropical Medicine and Emerging Infectious Disease
- American Journal of Infection Control
- Journal of Adolescent Health
- Journal of Hospital Infection
- Journal of Infection
- Seminars in Pediatric Infectious Diseases
MD Consult Standard Subscription PLUS Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
In addition to all the content available in MD Consult Standard Subscription, by adding the Respiratory & Critical Care Medicine option you will have access to:
- Albert: Clinical Respiratory Medicine
- Barnes: Asthma and COPD: Basic Mechanisms and Clinical Management
- Kruse: Saunders Manual of Critical Care
- Kryger: Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine
- Taussig: Pediatric Respiratory Medicine
- Respiratory Care Clinics of North America
- Pulmonary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- Respiratory Medicine
- Seminars in Respiratory Infections
- Sleep Medicine Reviews
MD Consult Standard Subscription PLUS Pain Medicine
In addition to all the content available in MD Consult Standard Subscription, by adding the Pain Medicine option you will have access to:
- Benzon: Raj's Practical Management of Pain
- Brown: Atlas of Regional Anesthesia
- McMahon: Wall and Melzack’s Textbook of Pain
- Raj: Interventional Pain Management: Image-Guided Procedures
- Raj: Textbook of Regional Anesthesia
- Waddell: The Back Pain Revolution
- Waldman: Atlas of Interventional Pain Management
- Waldman: Interventional Pain Management
- European Journal of Pain
- Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
- The Journal of Pain
- Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- Pain Medicine
- Pain Practice
- Seminars in Anesthesia, Perioperative Medicine and Pain
- Techniques in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management
Upgrade your subscription with First Consult, a clinical decision support resource that leverages evidence-based medical information to deliver clinical answers that are trusted, quick, and accessible anytime, anywhere.
Quality you can trust
- Content is subject to rigorous oversight by expert peer reviewers, a renowned editorial board, physician editors, and the Editor-In-Chief, David Goldmann, MD, FACP.
- Collaborative editorial process results in each topic reviewed by a minimum of four physicians before publication.
- Continual updates, including reviews by practicing physicians who are specialists in respective fields.
Quick answers at the point-of-care
- Succinct, bulleted answers presented within two clicks.
- Evidence-based information distilled into workflow-friendly format.
- Answers lead to CME - earn free CME credit from Cleveland Clinic with each search conducted.
Integrated access where you need it
- Remote and off-site access delivers content to clinic, office or home.
- First Consult iPhone App provides on-demand access, even when you do not have a WiFi/3G connection.
- Integration with MD Consult provides seamless access to an in-depth compendium of medical content.
- One-click access from your EMR to First Consult empowers you to make clinical decisions without having to access multiple tools.
More than 1,000 peer-reviewed practice guidelines
Guidelines are organized by topic and authoring organization, and they are regularly updated. The collection also includes “Guideline Updates” that contain brief summaries of newly published guidelines with links to the full-text articles available either within MD Consult or on the Web.
A guide to all content on MD Consult
Master List of Content
This Excel file is provided for institutional customers as a guide to the content available on MD Consult. The file includes separate tabs for Standard Subscription Books, eBooks, Journals/Clinics, and more. Durable URLs for books and journals are available on this file.
We put significant effort into ensuring that the information in this file is current and accurate. However, if you have questions about the information contained in the file, please contact us at: email@example.com
To access the Master Content List, click on the link below:
Suggestions for how to use MD Consult direct links:
- Highlight specific content for a specialty service. For example, if there is a section on your internal website that is devoted to the Anesthesia department; add a link to Miller’s Anesthesia on MD Consult.
- Add a link to the most frequently used books and journals.
Linking to books
To direct link to a book, you place the durable URL as a link on your internal website.
Example: MD Consult: Miller’s Anesthesia
When users select the link, the home page of the book will be displayed on MD Consult.
Linking to journals
Institutions with journal browse enabled can also add direct links to a journal on their internal web sites.
Example: MD Consult: American Heart Journal
When users select the link, the home page of the journal will be displayed on MD Consult.
Institutions that do not have journal browse enabled can use the search durable URL’s to display the journal.
When users select the link, search results for the journal will be displayed on MD Consult.
In This Week's Journals
- CRP levels signal cytokine storm in CAR therapy
- Sen. Manchin urges withdrawal of Zohydro approval
- Take care to care for the poor
- CMS two-midnight rule begins, but audits are on hold
- Despite privacy concerns, some physicians optimistic about Google Glass
- Generic atorvastatin recall applies to 90-count bottles of 10-mg tablets
- Office hours: subject to change
- Simultaneous colorectal/liver mets resection saves time and money
- VIDEO: Website collects best practices for reducing readmissions
- Natural supplements and the patient's perspective
Sign up now for the MD Consult newsletter